Apply Now

Eligibility & application

Requirements for eligibility are the same whether you’re applying for a Master of Arts in Education or as a non-degree student seeking teacher licensure eligibility.

Before you apply

Eligibility for this program is dependent on meeting certain criteria. As this is a competitive program, the Teacher Education Department will form a cohort from amongst the applicants who meet eligibility criteria. Meeting the eligibility criteria, or minimum standards, alone does not guarantee admission.

Minimum Standards

Bachelor’s degree

You have earned a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university.

Grade point average (GPA)

For baccalaureate and any prior graduate coursework, you need at least a 3.00 on a 4.00 GPA scale.

*Note: This is true for all coursework work even if it did not lead to a degree. If you have multiple transcripts, we will calculate a cumulative GPA using each of them.

GPA exceptions

If your GPA is below 3.0, and you still wish to apply, please write a letter to the Admission Committee that:

  1. Clearly explains the reason(s) you have not met the 3.0 GPA requirements
  2. Describes your action plan using specific strategies to balance coursework (including class time and homework) and personal commitments. Develop your own strategies, or include the following: create and adhere to a schedule, use our writing support program and other campus resources, set regular meetings with faculty, and use specific study plans.

Testing requirements

For traditional graduate licensure (MAE or licensure only), you need to pass the PRAXIS in your licensure area. Coursework cannot be substituted for the Praxis content exam according to the Colorado Department of Education requirements.

For alternative certification

Admission criteria for alternative certification is aligned with the Colorado Department of Education alternative certification criteria.

  1. Evidence of knowledge requires either 1) passing the PRAXIS in the licensure area;  OR 2) completing 24 credits in areas outlined on the forms linked here: CDE Alternative Licensing Endorsement Areas, as evaluated and approved by CDE.

  2. You must have a contract with a school/district for employment as a teacher-of-record in your content area.

Education & field work requirements

Field experience and education prerequisites are not required for admission. However, we recommend ED 222: Global Perspectives in Education, ED 341: Foundations of Teaching, and ED 342: Foundations of Teaching School-Based Field Experiences or the equivalent transfer work if you are interested in taking introductory coursework about the teaching profession.