You will work with faculty and professionals to:
- Understand major theories, concepts, and research related to language acquisition and language development for emergent bilinguals.
- Examine best practices in designing curricula and providing instruction that supports literacy learning and language development in learning content.
- Boost your knowledge of instructional strategies to select and design materials that support emergent bilinguals in developing English language proficiency.
- Learn how to include culture, diversity, and equity in designing learning environments that support fair academic access and learning opportunities for emergent bilinguals.
- Apply classroom and school data to support learning for linguistically marginalized students, especially including content learning and language development for emergent bilinguals.
- Work closely with emergent bilinguals in school-based field experience settings, applying your studies of language acquisition and instructional methods that enhance language and content learning.
- Collaborate with a faculty advisor on a personalized research project that explores educational issues impacting instructional practices and school structures and that has clear implications for policy and practice.
Eligibility & career possibilities
You must have a bachelor's degree to enroll. Our CLD options do not lead to teacher licensure. You may use these programs to augment your existing teaching license with a CLD endorsement in Colorado or a TESOL endorsement in New Mexico, be an effective educator in an organization that serves people of diverse backgrounds, or teach internationally.
- Master of Arts in Education: Culturally & Linguistically Diverse (CLD) Education
Earn a Master of Arts in Education with specialization in CLD education. 36 credits
- Culturally & Linguistically Diverse (CLD) Endorsement
Add a CLD endorsement to your existing teaching license
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Endorsement
Add a TESOL endorsement to your existing teaching license