The Master of Arts in Education: Special Education is a 32-credit program that focuses on students with disabilities in US schools. You will work with several mentors as you understand skills and responsibilities of a public school special education teacher. Courses are 100% online, offered in a format where you will learn from members of your cohort, expert faculty, and professionals in the field.
Upon completion of the MAE: Special Education coursework, students may apply to the Colorado Department of Education for an endorsement as a Special Education Generalist. Students who want to earn initial licensure will complete 800 hours of student teaching to complete the requirements for the Special Education Generalist license.
- Master of Arts in Education: Special Education; 32 Hours
- Master of Arts in Education: Special Education with initial licensure; 38 hours
- Special Education Generalist K-12 Endorsement; 24 Hours
What can you do with this degree?
- Pursue your Special Education Generalist (K-12) Endorsement in Colorado
- Support students with disabilities in the general education classroom
- Design appropriate and effective instruction for students with a variety of different disabilities
- Increase your ability to work with a variety of disabilities
- Develop and design defensible IEP’s
- Support, encourage, and educate families with disabilities
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- a bachelor’s degree
- online application
- official transcripts from all colleges and universities with attempted and/or earned credit
- application essay
If you do not meet the minimum standards, you may still be considered for admission, subject to an additional review. Applicants who do not meet minimum admission standards are recommended to complete their application files at least one month prior to the application deadline. If your GPA is below 3.0, we ask that you prepare a letter to the Admission Committee that (1) clearly explains the reason(s) you have not met the 3.0 GPA requirements and (2) addresses how educational and work experiences have changed your ability to perform at a higher level than your previous GPA indicates, particularly in your ability to critically analyze advanced academic material and communicate in precise and articulate fashion.