If you are interested in getting your teacher license and a Master of Arts in Education degree, please review the following admission requirements:
You should have completed a Bachelor of Arts or Science degree or transcripts demonstrating degree completion in one of the following areas:
- Secondary Licensure content areas:
- English (or Humanities)
- K-12 Licensure content areas:
- Exercise Science (or Physical Education)
- Other degrees would include BA or BS degree with at least 24 hours of specific coursework in the area in which you want to teach
- Or the ability to pass Praxis II exam in your content area
You should have a Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on 4.0 scale for undergraduate degree and graduate courses and/or degrees. If your GPA is below 3.0, we ask that you prepare a letter to the Admission Committee that (1) clearly explains the reason(s) you have not met the 3.0 GPA requirements and (2) addresses how educational and work experiences have changed your ability to perform at a higher level than your previous GPA indicates, particularly in your ability to critically analyze advanced academic material and communicate in precise and articulate fashion.
Register Fort Lewis College as a score recipient to submit official passing score documentation for the required Colorado Content Tests in your content area (PRAXIS II or PLACE). FLC offers graduate licensure in K-12 Special Areas (Art, Music, Physical Education, Spanish, and Drama/Theater) and Secondary Education 7-12 (English Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies).
All first-time applicants for the Teacher Education Program are required to furnish background check information and a properly completed and readable set of fingerprints. State and National background checks use files of the Colorado and Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Please complete and sign the Field Experience Application and email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Write FIELD EXPERIENCE APPLICATION [YOUR NAME] in the subject line.
To obtain the fingerprint card, please email us at email@example.com or stop by our office in the Education Business Hall, room 238. Be sure to read the instructions and include a money order or cashier’s check when you return the completed fingerprint card to the following address:
Department of Teacher Education
Fort Lewis College
1000 Rim Drive
Durango, CO 81301-3999
Prepare four 250-500 word statements that discuss the prompts listed below. Email your finished statement to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Write LICENSURE APPLICATION ESSAY [YOUR NAME] in the subject line.
- What specific skills and dispositions will help you as a teacher and be a successful candidate in the teacher licensure program?
- Describe your experience working with youth that have inspired you to become a teacher.
- Teaching in the 21st century is about collaboration. Explain how you have used collaboration to resolve a challenging situation.
- Project yourself about 3 years ahead of where you are now. Describe one of the classes you are teaching and what it would be like to be a student in your classroom.
Prepare a resume that includes your education and work with youth. Email your finished resume to email@example.com. Write RESUME [YOUR NAME] in the subject line.
*Early Childhood and Elementary Education licensure are NOT offered at the graduate level at this time. If you are interested in Early Childhood and/or Elementary Education and have a Bachelor's degree, please inquire about the Teacher Education Post Baccalaureate Program.